History of St James Church
A church was recorded on the present site in around 1175. We have seen the foundations of this church during archaeological excavations inside the present church. The nave (main body) of the church was rebuilt on these foundations in the fifteenth century – so how we operate today is partly determined by what happened almost nine hundred years ago! Since then, various parts of the church have been extended and rebuilt, right up to the present day.
However, our main heritage is the continued Christian worship on this site for all that time, something we will do our best to pass on to future generations.
We have many documents put together by our congregration detailing the history of St James Church. Click on the links below to view the PDF documents.
World War 2 Memorial Project
We are starting to research the people on the WW2 section of our war memorial – can you help?
Guide and History
A Guide and History of St James Church
List of all the Memorials in St James Church.
History of the Organ
A detailed look at the history of the church organ
Church History in Pictures
A pictorial presentation of the history of St James Church